Google has graced us with another Google Panda update. The latest update, Google Panda 4.0, has once again got the internet marketing and SEO world buzzing about what sites were impacted, what sites benefited and what we need to do going forward.
The Quick Facts About Google Panda 4.0
Here are a few things to note about the Panda Update:
- It is a site wide penalty – not a page penalty
- Panda uses a human viewpoint when examine sites first
- Machine algorithms are used as a secondary form of analysis
- If you fix the issues with your site, you will be able to recover
Content to Stop Creating Immediately
As with most Google algorithm updates, it’s a signal for a shift in content development. There are certain content strategies and SEO strategies that are not worth your time and will be provide the return you expect – Plus they could get you in trouble the Google, and on one wants that!
Here are a number of vital content mistakes to avoid:
- Too much template and not enough content – Don’t let your website template dominate your website. This will lead to a lower level of original content.
- Empty content – Creating a page and optimizing the meta tags is not enough. It is important to fill out your pages with good content. Watch out for place holder pages as well.
- Redundancy – There is a growing trend in websites having too much redundant content. Sure some pages will naturally have some overlap, but you need to make sure that you are not creating too much redundancy with your web pages.
- Relying heavily on Auto Generated Content and Aggregators – Too much auto generated content will get you in hot water with Google.
Focus on High Quality Content
The need to shift to create high quality content is nothing new. Google, internet marketers, and SEO professionals and experts have been urging websites to make the shift for a few years now.
- Stop trying to trick Google – it will catch up to you eventually and you will get penalized
- Shady tactics don’t work – and if they do it is only for the short term
- Invest in create good content
- Create content on a regular basis
- Use SEO, social media, and inbound marketing strategies collaboratively to improve your online presence – Standalone strategies are less effective
Nolan Wilson is a Freelance SEO writer in Toronto that specializes in SEO writing and blogging. He has a Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science and is a professional member of the PWAC. Connect with him on Google + and Twitter.