Think You Don’t Need a Blogging Strategy? Think Again.

content strategy, blogging

So you’ve decided to start a blog for your business. Great! Blogs are an effective way to reach out and communicate with your audience, and they’re an even better way of providing your readers with interesting, valuable content. Plus, it helps to give you an SEO boost as well!

An important, and often forgotten, aspect of blogging is developing a blogging strategy. Having a blogging strategy can help you avoid writer’s block, and keeps you on a consistent schedule. Don’t make the mistake of thinking you don’t need one – an effective blogging strategy will keep you focused, and will keep your audience coming back for more.

Give Your Audience What They Want

The key to any effective blogging strategy is giving your audience what they want. Your content strategy (see 5 Tips for Creating a Great Content Strategy) should be based on social media monitoring and keyword research. The language your audience uses on social media and the keywords they use to find you will indicate what your audience wants to read about. All you have to do is listen.

Say Goodbye to Writer’s Block

When developing a content strategy for your blog, brainstorm as many possible topics as you can. When you have a bank of relevant, interesting blog topics in your back pocket, you lessen the work you have to do when you actually go to write your post. Writer’s block is a common problem for bloggers, and writing down possible topics as they come to you and saving them for later is a great way to avoid it.

Stay Organized

Listing possible blog topics (based on your social monitoring and keyword research, of course) is a great way of organizing your blog’s content into categories, which will improve user experience by making sure you don’t post about the same topic too frequently.

The Time is Ripe

Scheduling and frequency is a key component of your blogging strategy. The frequency with which you post should be dependent on your business category and your audience. It might take some experimentation before you learn how often you should be posting.

Mix It Up

Your audience has chosen to follow your blog, but that doesn’t mean they want to be constantly updated with promotional messages about new products or services. Your blogging strategy will make sure that your audience isn’t overwhelmed with a barrage of similar or overly promotional content week after week.

A good rule to follow is the 80/20 rule. 80% of your content should be non-branded and relevant content, while the remaining 20% can be promotional. When deciding how to fill out your 80%, remember to switch up your content between blog categories and content formats in order to keep your audience interested. Not every blog posts needs to be written – try using infographics, photo galleries, or videos.

Creating a blogging strategy will keep you posting relevant content on a regular basis. The trick is listening to what your audience is talking about, and become part of the conversation with interesting, valuable opinions, advice, or commentary.

Need Help with Your Blogging Strategy

Nolan Wilson Freelance can help you develop an effective blogging strategy that will improve your SEO, help you engage your users and increase website traffic. Call today to find out how.

This entry was posted in Blogging, Content Strategy and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>